Thursday, June 18, 2009

GENERAL INFORMATION: Broken Lease - 12 Rules of Thumb


12 Rules of Thumb anyone with an Broken Lease Should Know

BROKEN LEASES ARE BAD – BUT THERE IS A SIMPLE WAY TO LESSEN THEIR IMPACT ON YOU --

ACCEPT A PAYMENT PLAN WITH YOUR OLD COMPLEX AND MAKE AT LEAST ONE PAYMENT!

Some people don’t seem to understand how serious an Broken Leases is in their Rental History. Of all the major problems with Rental History, this is the easiest one to get past. Many complexes will accept you with a minimal deposit if you are making payments to your old complex. I've seen as little as 1 or 2 $25 payment mean that a client didn't have to have a full month's deposit.

For apartment complexes an Broken Leases is a sign that you leave the complex, and cost them money during your relationship with them; the complex will attempt to mitigate their risk with a higher deposit than normal.

You have to look at it from the apartment managers perspective. You cost some apartment complex dearly; now you come to them and ask them to take a chance on you when you have already burned another complex.

1. The apartment managers are leary to rent to you. They will protect themselves in case you repeat the negative history and create another broken lease. What you should know is that only a handful of apartment complexes will rent to you if you have more than one broken lease. You are just too risky.

2. It isn’t hopeless. In fact you need a great apartment locator. One that specializes in difficult cases. Think of me as a surgeon, not for medical problems, but for rental problems. If anyone can place you, I can.

3. If you have a story, based on fact, it is easier to place you. Many apartment managers have a degree of discretion. Not all do. If your Broken Leases was caused by a disagreement related to a natural disaster, like Hurricane IKE, you have a better chance of being placed that you do for not paying your rent. Some broken leases are caused by honest mistakes; a common one is that the apartment renter thinks they have given 30 day notice and the complex has a 60 day notice in the lease.

4. If you have a Felony and an Broken Leases, your chances of being placed are much less.

5. If you were evicted for a crime, even a misdemeanor like assault, your chances of being placed decrease significantly.

6. If you have an Broken Leases, a crime, and a bankruptcy or eviction, don’t bother calling me. Rent from a private individual. I can’t help you.

7. If your spouse has a broken lease and they live at the same address, it is as if you have a broken lease - since the apartment will insist that both of you will need to be on the lease.

8. If you have more than one Broken Leases, I have ONLY talked to 4 apartment managers who would accept you. And these places aren't the greatest either.

9. Good rental history since the Broken Leases is very important. Living with your parents or family won’t help. It is better for you to rent from a friend, church member, or private individual and to rebuild good rental history before you attempt to rent an apartment.

10. You must make a favorable impression on the apartment management. I had one apartment manager tell me that someone came in to her office “with their boxer shorts showing” and she decided right then and there that she didn’t want to rent to them. Maybe it isn’t fair but it is a fact; people judge you by your appearance and speech.

11. Your job matters. A lot. If you can show that you went through a tough employment time but now you are more stable, financially set, employed with a better job, etc. then more people will risk their career on you.

12. YOUR ATTITUDE MATTERS MOST OF ALL. You can’t be belligerent about the past. Much better to be remorseful. It will generate more empathy for you and your situation.

Bonus Fact: Practice what you are going to say with a loved one or friend; one who will honestly tell you their impression of how you are delivering your message. Don’t lie; it will come out. Just tell the truth. Think out how to present it.

It takes me at least 2 times the time to place someone with an Broken Leases. If you aren't going to put my name down and COMMIT to work with me. Don't call me. I have people to help and, like you, I want to be paid for my efforts. And the only way I get paid is when you put my name down on EVERY Guest Card and Application. I won't chase after you. I expect to send you an e-mail with the complexes that will accept you. I don't have the time to read off the ones that will. If you don't have a computer and you can't get to a friends or a library, I expect you to answer your cell phone when I call - promptly.

If you won't respect me, my efforts, and my time, then I don't want to work with you. Call someone else. If you promise these things, I will commit to help you.

And, If you do put me on the Guest card and Application, I will send you a gift card if you Email me with your Move-In date (or use the handy UPDATE ME OR CONTACT ME form on my Website. My full Gift Card policy is on this page as well.

To speak to me call:

General E-mail: 24x7AptFind@Gmail.com
Web: 24x7AptFind.com
Office: 281-681-3434
Toll Free: 866-285-2100
Home Ofc: 281-203-6000

P.S. To find a Houston apartment or Townhome the easy way go to my city websites. You can access them from my main site 24x7AptFind.com and use our FIND ME A TEXAS APT Email Form or use the Web based Search Facility at one of my city websites today!

Copyright © 2009. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
You get a great apt and a Rebate (up to $100) with our service. The Service is FREE to you; the apartments pay us. You only have to agree to list us as your Referral Source to the Apartments. We have sites for Houston, DFW, Austin, San Antonio and a this site serves people with Criminal Issues. I have over 12 years of helping people rent nice apartments. 5. We are professional & fast and give our clients "Texas Hospitality". We process FIND AN APT FOR ME web requests 24x7. We are open Monday - Saturday from 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM and we are available on Sunday by Web or Phone.